Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year! We at Real Mama are glad to bring you these ideas for living life a little greener for our own well-being and the health of the planet. What are your Go-Green Goals for 2011? Be sure to send us a note and let us know!
Kari’s Go-Green Goals
1. Eat at least two meatless meals per week, since meat has a large carbon footprint and other environmental and health issues.
2. Go simple with my vegetable garden this spring and summer to yield lots of veggies, and teach my toddler about gardening so she learns food comes from the earth.
3. Buy a rain barrel to collect water and use the water on plants and gardens.
4. Buy and give experiences or services — such as concert or theater tickets, classes, or cooking or babysitting offers — as gifts to reduce “stuff.”
5. Recycle number 5 plastic containers, accepted at some stores.
Kirstin’s Go-Green Goals
1. Send a holiday card on-line instead of in hard copy to save money, paper, and take advantage of the interactive nature of cards.
2. Work with my kids’ schools to make a formal green program including recycling, use of non-toxic cleaning products, and a garden.
3. Buy gifts that encourage the use of imagination, science, and outdoor play.
4. Bring a stainless steel container to refill with water for exercise.
5. Get involved in a local food pantry and find roles to include the kids.
Cornelia’s Go-Green Goals
1. Work with my daughter’s school to create a green team committee of parents and children to help foster a greener school, build a garden and learn better environmental stewardship.
2. Research healthier, homeopathic pet care, including holistic food and using fewer vaccines.
3. Plan and build our vegetable garden again this year, and learn to can the extra veggies for use during the winter months.
4. Buy less new clothing — find good stuff swaps and consignment shops for our clothes.
5. Get our food from more local sources such as farmers markets & CSA’s.